Gastroschisis Project

EGR 101 (Engineering Design and Communication): August 2018 - December 2018

This project focused on developing a low cost silo which could be used to treat gastroschisis in developing countries such as Uganda. This project was completed within my introductory engineering class during my first semester at Duke.

This project was the cornerstone of my experience within my first semester design engineering course EGR 101. For this course we were given a real-world problem which we were tasked to design a solution for within a variety of constraints. My team was tasked by doctors within the Duke Hospital and in Uganda to develop a low-cost silo to treat gastroschisis in low-income countries such as Uganda. To develop this solution, we learned about and utilized multiple engineering concepts and tools such as the strategic choice of materials, 3D Printing, and Gantt Charts. Ultimately, we presented our solution at the end of the semester to doctors from the Duke Hospital and from Uganda, who both received the solution positively.

One member from my team (Caroline Salzman) took the project further within a different course, her most recent work can be found here

Within this class, I also performed different tools mastery courses within which I learned how to use different skills which are important for engineering in the future. These mini assignments provided us with the opportunity to gain experience within two areas of choice, which could potentially be used in developing our main project for the semester. I ended up doing tools mastery assignments within woodworking and 3D printing, and although they did not directly help in my final project, they were fun assignments were I was able to develop skills in two areas I had no previous experience in. My groups video presentation for the woodworking mini assignment is linked here. (Please do not watch I am a fetus in this video)